Ella is a gathered skirt pattern designed for woven fabrics. It’s a step above basic, with a subtle high-low hem finished with a gathered tier.
The skirt has an A-line silhouette, which gives a flattering drape and movement through the hip. Choose from three different lengths: above the knee, on the knee, and midi length. There are also three pocket styles. Try patch pockets to create a more casual style, or go for a hidden pocket on the side seam.
The Ella skirt waistband sits on the natural waist. It closes with an invisible zip at centre back, and a hook and bar closure. Beginners will find this a great pattern to advance their skills, with detailed instructions for each step. Stable, medium weight fabrics are the easiest option to sew, while floaty rayons or silks will challenge you a bit more (but drape delightfully!).
What you get:
This product is a digital download and includes printable PDFs of the pattern in both A0 (for large format printing at copy shops), and A4/US Letter size (for printing at home).
Included with the pattern is a fully illustrated instruction booklet with step by step directions to achieving sewing success.
- Your PDF files are layered! You can choose to print only the sizes you need.
- The only place that the skirt is fitted is at the waist, meaning the fitting process is totally low fuss!
- Learn how to sew gathers, in-seam pockets and a fitted waistband, with step by step instructions and diagrams.
- This is a great skill-building pattern for confident beginners, with extra in-depth instructions for the invisible zip.
Ella is designed for light to medium weight non-stretch wovens with good drape. Cotton, viscose/rayon, silk, wools, and linen are all ideal. Fabrics with more body such as linen or cotton chambray will emphasize the A-line shape, while drapey fabrics such as rayons will hang closer to the body. This pattern is suitable for directional prints.
- Sizes 28 to 40: 1m (1.1 yards) of lightweight woven fusible interfacing.
- Sizes 42 to 48: 1.2m (1.3 yards) of lightweight woven fusible interfacing.
Thread, Invisible zip (23cm/9”), one hook and bar fastener, fusing tape – buy pre-made fusing tape, or cut strips of fusing along grainline. These strips should be about 1.3cm (1/2”) wide.)
The fabric requirements allow for directional prints. Allow extra fabric if matching large-scale prints, or if lengthening the skirt.
Ella is suitable for intermediate sewers, but confident beginners can sew this pattern too. For an easier sewing experience, pick a more stable fabric.
- Available in sizes 28 - 48.
- Our model wears a size 34.
- Forget-me-not patterns are designed for a height of 5’6” (168cm).